Help us build the future of the legal profession together.
As an active NYSBA member, you recognize the value that your membership has had on your professional career. Our Member-Get-A-Member program is the ideal opportunity to share your success by encouraging your nonmember colleagues to join.
You will be rewarded with one entry per every one member recruited into a quarterly drawing for an Amazon gift card of $250 each quarter. For every 5 members you recruit you will also receive one entry into our annual drawing for a prize such as an iPad or iWatch. You may also decline any prize won and NYSBA will contribute the monetary value to the NYSBA Foundation.
You are eligible for the NYSBA member get a member program if you are:
- A paying NYSBA member.
- A non-student or non-newly admitted attorney.
You are eligible to recruit a member that does not confine to the following membership type:
- Newly Admitted Attorney
How to Participate:
- Just tell the attorneys you recruit to include your name on their applications. This is the only way we can track your referrals.
- Then visit the recruiter’s form to tell us who you recruited by entering your name, NYSBA number and the name of the potential member.
- MGM awards for the 2018 membership year (recruiting activity from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018) will be sent by February 1, 2019 to the mailing address on your member record. Please ensure your email address is up to date in your profile to ensure you receive this and other important membership information.
With this program, you could earn up to US $750 in rewards (Amazon gift card and annual prize of $500 from an ipad/iwatch).
Tips for recruiting new members
- Why are you a NYSBA member? Portray the value a NYSBA membership has to prospective recruits. Why did you join?
- Use your membership as an example. Positive testimonials can be a major tool to use when recruiting new members.
- Understand their career outlook. Become familiar with their goals, wants, and needs and begin to highlight corresponding benefits. This will create a constructive conversation between colleagues rather than creating the feel of a sales pitch.
- Make joining an easy process. Offer to walk them through the process via email or give them a NYSBA hard-copy membership application. Remember to have them include your name so you can be rewarded!
- Follow up! Reach out to your potential recruit after a week or two to see if they joined or have any questions. If they have joined, it provides an opportunity to welcome them to the NYSBA. If they have not joined, following up can be a gentle reminder!
- Thank them. Send your recruit a brief message to thank them for joining the NYSBA! While this program rewards recruitment, networking can be seen as another reward. Establish recruits as new colleagues. Try inviting them to future events and serve as a guide for their new membership!
When NYSBA is growing, a greater recognition for the legal profession is evident. Through growth NYSBA can continue to advocate, support, and benefit attorneys across the world.
Printable Promotional Materials
- Membership Application
- Membership Recruitment Flyer